Resources for Homeowners Facing Foreclosure “Where to Look for Help”

How to get informed:

How to work with your creditors to explore other options:

  • Contact the County Treasurer’s office to see if they will accept payments for delinquent taxes, payment plans, debt forgiveness, and/or to apply for a Poverty tax exemption.
  • Contact your lender or loan servicer to discuss options that may be available, including reinstatement, forbearance, repayment plans, refinance, claim advances and/or loan modifications, short sale, or deed in lieu of foreclosure.

Where to get qualified help:

Where to get other financial assistance if you do not qualify for Step Forward Michigan:

  • The Department of Human Services (DHS) offers assistance through Home Ownership Services:,4562,7-124-5453_5531-18245–,00.html
  • The HUD website has information about federal programs for which you may be eligible, including Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP), Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), or Home Affordable Unemployment Program (UP) and others:
  • You may qualify for tax benefits that could decrease tax debt such as: Michigan Principal Residence Exemption, the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit, the Michigan Poverty Exemption, or the Disabled Veterans Exemption. Visit
  • Local funds may be available through foundations, churches, civic groups, etc.

Where to find services and opportunities to help offset household expenses:

Where to find transitional housing and housing help:

WARNING: Be aware of scams when searching the internet for rental housing. For more information, go here:

Where to turn for emotional support:

Foreclosure can pose an enormous stress on a family’s mental wellbeing, leading to increased anxiety, depression and even thoughts of suicide. Help is available.

  • Veteran’s Crisis Line: 24/7 assistance is available by calling 1-800-273-8255 (press 1) or accessing
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.